Proposal to reduce anti-bundling requirements

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 19:27:49 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-09-15 at 10:59 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> On 09/15/2015 10:14 AM, Ben Rosser wrote:
<snip>

> > The only real "solution" to this, to the extent that there is one,
> > is better
> > support to have multiple versions of at least some things install-
> > able either
> > in parallel or at least, if not in parallel than being able to
> > choose between
> > version X and version Y of at least some software.
> >
> > I realize this isn't a terribly realistic solution (among other
> > things, we
> > don't have the manpower to make it happen). But still:
> >
> > For Python, for instance, we currently support this. (So does
> > basically
> > everyone else). You can have Python 2.x and/or Python 3.x
> > installed at the
> > same time.
>
> Other than the large python2/3 split, you don't.  There's no way in
> the python
> import statement to specify a version of the module you want, so
> there's no
> way to provide both python2-foo-1.1 and python2-foo-1.2 even if we
> wanted to.

Actually, that's incorrect. If your package is using setuptools, you
can indeed specify which version to import if some are available in
parallel.

Take a look at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python_Eggs#Mul
tiple_Versions for tips on how to use egg metadata to do this.

(For a while, we were doing this with Django so we could keep the LTS
version around as well as the latest).