Why packages sources are NOT mirrored?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 17:26:01 UTC 2015

On Sep 17, 2015 06:46, "Marcin Juszkiewicz" <mjuszkiewicz at redhat.com> wrote:

>                         My traceroute  [v0.85]
 This is my connection to pkgs.fedoraproject.org machine. Fetching 48MB
archive reached 36% in 2 (two) hours...

> We ship binaries through mirrors all around the world. yum/dnf knows how
to use them to get packages in a quick way. Knows how to handle lack of
connection etc.

> But sources used to build packages came from one place. ONE...
>
> Why? Why we are not have them mirrored?

I would talk with the mirrors in your area and find out why they don't
mirror it. Mirroring is a volunteer activity and mirrors do what they think
will be useful for users near them.

And to pre-answer something that might be related, there is no budget to
put this into a CDN. Those are extremely expensive operations and do not
volunteer space.