Disable PulseAudio flat volumes to prevent it from pushing volume level to max

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Sep 21 23:49:23 UTC 2015

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Experimenting with GNOME, the model presented to the user seems to be:
>
>  - Each application's volume control separate goes from 0-100% of the
>    maximum system volume.
>  - Adjusting each application is independent
>  - Modifying the system global volume slider proportionally adjusts the
>    volume of each application
>  - The system global volume slider is always maintained to be at least
>    as much as the maximum of any application

Unfortunately, for endusers like me, who want pidgin to not blare
out, there isn't a simple user interface to let me select
that. Like let's say a right click on the top right volume icon that
would show all apps with volume so I can bring pidgin volume down.

So as a result, I always end up using the system volume control, and
after I play a movie or an mp3, pidgin blares out loudly.

So the current system is clearly not working for me.

Paul