Mounting a Samsung S5 phone for reading

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 02:47:21 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Les Howell <hlhowell at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Hi, everyone...
> I have been trying for three days now to mount a galaxy phone to my F22
> system.
>         Problems:  Phone does not mount.
>         Things checked:
>                 1.  Nautilus does not have the side pane any longer.  I really
> miss that because my file structure is very diverse.
>                 2.  /run/users/1000 never reflects my phone.
>                 3.  Added simple-gvfs to no effect.
>                 4.  searched for and added libfuse-gvfs
>                 5.  searched for and added 2 other gvfs bits (sorry I no longer
> remember which ones.)
>                 6.  Googled lots with no more success.
>                 7.  Nautilus crashes sporadically, and specifically if I click
> on the menu button to change from list view to icon view or vice versa,
> depending on which view is open.
>                 8.  .config/nautilus files are writable.
>                 9.  Now I'm asking here.  HELP!!!
>
> BASE PROBLEM... Mount cellphone as a disk to retrieve files not working
> and I cannot find a solution.

Make sure you have gvfs-mtp installed. Some phones need you to unlock
them to be able to access the files (mine does), also often some
Android phones have different modes when you plug in a usb cable
(charge only, MTP, PTP etc) and put up a usb icon in the status bar
where if you select the option you want. In my case it doesn't appear
in nautilus until I've unlocked the phone and selected the mode.

Peter