F22: Software for update

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Tue Sep 29 20:26:34 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 01:20:25PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> > > AIUI, NetworkManager is working on more sophisticated detection of
> > > tethering, but right now it doesn't have it. Tethered wifi will be
> > > treated as an unmetered connection. I think NM does already treat
> > > USB
> > > tethering as metered.
> >
> >   It's already available in NM 1.0.6:
> > https://blogs.gnome.org/lkundrak/2015/08/27/networkmanager-1-0-6-brin
> > gs-metered-connections-api-and-more/
>
> I don't see anything in that which says it detects wifi tethering.
> 'capture portal detection' is something else, and exposing whether a
> connection is metered or not through the API is nice, but doesn't mean
> the information it exposes is actually *correct* or has changed in any
> way.
>
> I'm not saying it's *not* in 1.0.6, just that that text doesn't seem to
> say it is. :)

 Ekhm, let me cite a bullet point straight from this post:
#v+
– We now expose information on whether a particular connection is metered. It’s
intended for tools like package managers that like pre-fetch large amount of
data to be able to avoid increasing your Mobile connectivity bills.
#v-

 It's pretty clear, isn't it?  It's not hard technically, DHCP client
have to watch for ANDROID_METERED in option 43 and pass thath information
further up the stack.

--
Tomasz Torcz              ,,If you try to upissue this patchset I shall be seeking
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl   an IP-routable hand grenade.'' -- Andrew Morton (LKML)