Is there any actual documentation?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 15:02:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 15:44 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm sorry to sound mean,
> but I've been observing the often interesting and learned
> discussions about Fedora documentation for some time,
> but when I looked recently to see what documentation was around
> I found remarkably little -
> basically just the comments on the Release Notes.

No worries, we're not the best advocates for ourselves at times.

We are also very short on full-length books (guides, reference tomes)
because those are hard to create and support.

The people involved in the project are doing what it interesting to
them.  For some, this means working on tools and processes.  This fits
into our mission:

"Provide tools, services, and content for 100% free and open FLOSS
projects."

Published Docs:
---------------
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/mirror/
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/yum/
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/

... and so forth from http://fedora.redhat.com/docs

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/
FDP is very active in the entire Wiki, which has a growing amount of
content.

Draft Docs:
-----------
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts -> becomes the release notes,
community written
http://webtest.fedora.redhat.com/docs/ -> DocsRawhide, builds from the
HEAD of CVS.

Here's an example of a book that was donated to the project and is
languishing without a lead writer and other contributors:

http://webtest.fedora.redhat.com/docs/rpm-guide/en/

Anyone interested?

> Am I missing something?
> Or will the documentation be appearing "real soon"?

This is not documentation in that comes from a secret place and is
revealed fully grown.  People such as yourself need to get active to
make more appear.

Red Hat did not staff this project.  However, the recent license changes
are going to allow for Red Hat-based contributors, and you can expect to
see more in-progress documents being developed in the community.

But none of this is like Athena, born fully formed from the brow of
Zeus.  This stuff takes actual work, although the release notes beats
proves that the work can be minimal for a fantastic outcome.

> I may say I always read
> the very good (and beautifully produced) Fedora Weekly News.

Me too. :)

- Karsten
Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject