cvs - error / help + more

Adam Moreland journo_bouy at hotmail.co.uk
Wed May 31 20:26:33 UTC 2006

Hey

Ok, taking all said onboard. I have corrected problems with what you posted:

>This is for anonymous access.  The process and settings are not compatible
>with using your Fedora account.  Also, you should not be running as root.
>This is a BAD practice.  It puts your system at unnecessary risk, and
>sharing
>the root account, even with family, is even worse.  Set up a regular user
>account and use it instead.  When you need to perform a system-wide
>function,
>use 'su' or 'sudo'.  You may need to move or recreate your SSH and GPG keys
>in that new account.  Some Fedora services, including the #fedora IRC
>channel, already ban users who are running as root, and other services may
>add that security measure in the future.

my apologies for the root access, cheers for pointing out. i am using my
regular user account.

> > [root at localhost adam_laura]# export
> > CVSROOT=:pserver:manix at cvs.fedora.redhat.com:/cvs/docs
>
>This is where your problem is.  You need to use :ext:, not :pserver:.  The
>pserver method will only work for anonymous access.  The ext method must be
>used with your Fedora account.
>
>Make sure that you correct your CVSROOT and specify SSH as the transport:
>
>export CVS_RSH=ssh
>export CVSROOT=:ext:manix at cvs.fedora.redhat.com:/cvs/docs
>
>Your account is otherwise set up properly, so you should then be able to
>start
>checking out modules.

ok here is what i have got. I know i am close, just not close enough!!
[adam_laura at localhost ~]$ export
CVSROOT=:ext:manix at cvs.fedora.redhat.com:/cvs/docs
[adam_laura at localhost ~]$ cvs -z3 login
cvs login: can only use `login' command with the 'pserver' method
cvs [login aborted]: CVSROOT: :ext:manix at cvs.fedora.redhat.com:/cvs/docs
[adam_laura at localhost ~]$ cvs login
cvs login: can only use `login' command with the 'pserver' method
cvs [login aborted]: CVSROOT: :ext:manix at cvs.fedora.redhat.com:/cvs/docs
[adam_laura at localhost ~]$ cvs co docs-common
The authenticity of host 'cvs.fedora.redhat.com (209.132.176.51)' can't be
established.
RSA key fingerprint is dd:0d:f1:d6:e2:f6:39:cf:ca:6b:03:28:8d:84:3a:d5.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'cvs.fedora.redhat.com,209.132.176.51' (RSA) to
the list of known hosts.
For more information on using the Fedora source code repositories,
please visit http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UsingCvs
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if
any)
[adam_laura at localhost ~]$

the above problem i see as being because it hasnt authenticated me. It looks
like it is denying me over my ssh key or possibly gpg key. Perhaps i am not
sending it. the above is my output so if i am just not specifying stuff i
apologise.

and may i just end by saying thank you for all the help. I know no-one has
to, but it is good. It is the one part of the Linux community that is the
strongest, and is always a pleasure to be able to deal with a problem, and
not feel like being a burden.

I apologise for taking up valuable time, but i assure all that when running,
i learn fast and wont need to be told again.

Adam Moreland

Mr Adam L Moreland (MAniX) | Registered Linux User: #417406
BA (Hons) Media Studies, 2nd Year, UoN
****
System: Pentium 4 SKT478 2.8GHz Precott, AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ | GPG Key:
AC230C32
****
pub 1024D/AC230C32 2006-05-21
Key fingerprint = 14F4 50F5 806C 25A5 B33C C2BF 982C 87B7 AC23 0C32
uid Adam Moreland (MAniX)
sub 2048g/A471FCE7 2006-05-21
****