CVS sponsorship (trans & docs)

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Sep 20 22:30:31 UTC 2006

We've stalled on making a sponsorship process for FDP CVS in hopes that
the two separate CVS systems from Translation and Documentation would be
combined, and we could have one process overall.  This combining is not
happening yet, so we need a process to carry us through.  This process
should fit into the overall Documentation/Translation scheme for the
future.

The process should have sponsors take on the job of:

i. Mentoring new translators in how to translate documentation
ii. Watching CVS commits for problems, etc.
iii. Fixing any mistakes or dropped translations

Here is an idea for a process.  What is stupid about it?  What is good
about it?

* We add steps to the
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Translation page for new
translators:
  1. Join the language list fedora-trans-$LANG
  2. Introduce yourself on that list as per Fedora Translation
requirements
  3. Ask for someone who does documentation translation for your
language to sponsor you in Documentation CVS, then follow the steps to
request cvsdocs access
  4. When you self-introduce to fedora-docs-list, include the name of
your sponsor and that you have requested cvsdocs access
  5. Sponsor should reply to fedora-docs-list with a confirmation (ACK)
  6. Start bugging us via #fedora-docs and fedora-docs-list to accept
your cvsdocs access immediately

* Sponsors from a language group must:
  - Ensure that translations go through an accuracy check (QA)
  - Help the new translator learn how to use the Documentation tools
(build tools, CVS, etc.)
  - Be there to help in case of trouble with CVS or tools
    - You do not need to know all the answers
    - Your main job here is to help connect people with problems with
the people who can help solve them
  - Think of this as a mentoring role

We can either get this process or a pointer to the Wiki put into the
Translation Quick Start Guide.

Thoughts?

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project