Self-Introduction: Murray McAllister

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 06:25:05 UTC 2007

On 9/22/07, Murray <murray.mcallister at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Murray McAllister, I've just moved to Brisbane (Australia) to
> start my new job with Red Hat Asia Pacific as a content author.
>
> I'm really keen to contribute into open source but finding it a bit hard
> since I'm not a developer.  I was then blessed with this job and thought
> it would be a great opportunity to be able to give something back to
> open source.

Congratulations on your new job.

> My goals in the Fedora Project:
>
> - contribute as much as I can.  I think some small tutorials (perhaps
> network configuration, user management (system-config-users/useradd,
> groupadd etc), permissions would be a good start/practice.
>
> I am currently writing errata for RHEL 5, perhaps I could use what I
> have learned there to help in areas of the Fedora Project (release notes
> perhaps?).  I have done a lot of work with BIND so maybe once I settle
> in I could start contributing more in that area (perhaps larger tutorials).

Welcome, there is always room for another committed writer.

Release notes are a very high priority, as are other documents such as
Installation Guide and Desktop User Guide.

See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Tasks for a list of
tasks we have set for ourselves.

> - one of my 'goals' within Red Hat is to document 3 open source writing
> tools.  Perhaps I could somehow combine that with a project for Fedora.

You should check out a guide I've authored on the wiki:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/WorkFlowIdeas

This document covers quite a few FOSS tools for linux for authoring
docs in Docbook XML format.

Once again, welcome aboard!

Best Regards,

John Babich