Why aren't we linking to fedorahosted?

Christopher Curran ccurran at redhat.com
Sun Jul 6 22:54:03 UTC 2008

Paul Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:05 AM, Christopher Curran <ccurran at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> We have so many great projects on fedorahosted.org, many of which maintain
>> their own documents.
>>
>> My question is why don't we have links to these projects? We should have a
>> connection between them and the documentation on fedora.org
>>
>> And yes I am sticking my hand up, I just don't know how we would go about it
>> or our reasons for not doing it at the moment.
>>
>> The other possible option is to talk to the package maintainers and host the
>> documentation on fedora.org and have them link to us !
>>

> I'm assuming you mean http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ and not that
> other site (which has no connection to the Fedora Project). :-)

Yes, that's the one.
> I think that:
>
> 1. A link to fedorahosted.org makes sense to help people visiting
> docs.fedoraproject.org -- or any *.fedoraproject.org, for that matter
> -- find other projects they care about.  Maybe this is a question for
> the websites team:  should the Hosted area be linked as part of the
> quick links on our templates site-wide?  (Also, this indicates that
> our docs site needs to have the same template as the rest of fp.o, but
> I believe someone's already working on that, yes?)

Symmetric links would be nice. We could link to their docs, they could
link to ours.
> 2. Hosting all that documentation on docs.fedoraproject.org actually
> decreases the likelihood it will be maintained -- the idea should be
> to get docs people involved with helping the upstream projects, rather
> than trying to swallow their documents into our own site. (It seems to
> me that we've tried going down the latter road before, and shown that
> we don't have the resources for that kind of maintenance.)

Taking everything on is a bad idea. I think participating in upstream
projects is more constructive (and on a distro level fedora is the
upstream project). We should link to upstream documents though, there
are some good documents in fedorahosted and on individual project sites.
Becoming a hub for information is certainly a way to get more attention
and subsequent participation.

So what do you think Paul and others?