Mission statement questions

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Feb 4 01:52:44 UTC 2010

Current status of this is in the Talk page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Docs_Project_mission_statement

* One point is that we do document technology recommendations;
* However, those recommendations should come from the developers, we
  just document them;

No objections to my recommendation for a new mission statement, other
than un-specifying tools (wiki), which I agree with, and consideration
about the technology recommendations.

My conclusion is to include language such as, "we document technology
recommendations."  Here's the reasoning - you may be an expert and
making a recommendation, but that is as an expert; the _team's_
mission is to document experts.  Compare to how Wikipedia requires a
reference; an expert cannot come and say, "I know this should be
such-and-so," they have to point at another article somewhere where
they as an expert declare such-and-so.  This method prevents the
documenters from having to judge the expertise level of experts.  We
ask other teams for their information, they decide amongst themselves
who knows best and what are the right answers, and pass it over.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Docs_Project_mission_statement#Revised_final_proposal

  Revised final proposal

  The mission of the Fedora Documentation Project is to provide
  documentation to users and contributors to improve the overall usage
  and experience of Fedora. We do that by overseeing
  community-maintained content, explaining the usage of certain pieces
  of software or systems, and documenting technology recommendations
  and for special events (releases, etc). In pursuit of this work, the
  Docs Project creates and works with 100% free/libre and open source
  software, content, tools, and processes to create a reusable
  documentation system that is buildable from source by anyone and
  free forever.

Any final thoughts here on list?

- Karsten