Sugar on a Stick Docs using Publican

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 14:15:09 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 11:10:38PM +0100, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:

> >> Yes, I'm game.
> >
> > (reformatted reply to keep the thread easy to read... refer to
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines#top-posting for
> > more info)
> >

> > Awesome!  Sebastian, looks like you now have a Docs contributor to
> > help you with your Sugar on a Stick documentation.  What I'd suggest
> > is that the two of you use a combination of:
> >
> > (1) This list
> > (2) IRC Freenode, #fedora-docs
> >
> > ...to plan out how you want that guide to grow.  Sebastian probably
> > already has ideas for what needs to be expanded, it's just a matter of
> > writing it down somewhere and then working on the doc
> > collaboratively.  By using this email list, you might be able to
> > gather even more people to help.  Snowball effect, woo!
> >
> > Also... if both of you are on this list now, I'll stop sending cc's to
> > you personally, sorry for the noise.
>
> Paul, thanks a lot for this! Both options sound fine to me. I guess I'd
> better add #fedora-docs to XChat's auto-login, heh.
>
> One thing I was wondering about is what it'd take to get this at some
> point as an official document - since Sugar on a Stick will be an
> official spin, too...

Well, in terms of making things easy for users, the best place for
these types of documents to live is right alongside the spin on its
own site.  In other words, you don't want to send users away somewhere
else (like docs.fp.o) when you can give them the download and the
guide together in one place.

Besides that consideration, though, there's the completely ugly truth
that the Docs publishing chain right now is a horrible nest of snakes
that you don't want to bother with.  In the future, assuming some Docs
contributors get involved with the effort, we'll be able to get all
guides available through a snazzy new (and simpler) interface on
Fedora Insight.  But until that happens I would recommend the approach
of simply having a PDF available on your spins site.  Thank goodness
Publican makes that part of publishing pretty simple.