Self-Introduction

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Mar 1 00:23:40 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-02-28 at 02:51 -0600, Eli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wanted to send my self-intro and get my name out to everyone. My name
> is Eli and I live in Minnesota. I have a lot of interest in Fedora and
> would like to contribute where I can be of the most help. I do a lot of
> reading and editing of manuals and guides at work. I have good set of
> computer skills but I have never taken any college courses on the
> computer. It has all been self-taught. So I can make my way around but
> don't know the "technical" aspects. I have no programming skills and
> minimal command line skills. But I can write well and project what I am
> trying to say. I have been using GNU/Linux for about a year and a half.
> I have only used Gnome and will probably stick with that. I am really
> self-motivated and take pride in my work. I am open to trying new things
> and definitely learning all the things I can learn about Linux and
> Fedora in particular. And that I hope can have an impact on what Fedora
> is and will become in the future.
>
> I might need some help navigating around to start out with, and I'm sure
> I'm not the first to ask. But once I can get going and figure out what
> is where, I will be well on my way. Its taken me a little time to get
> all this figured out and I hope it correct.
>

> Thank you for your time. And I look forward to helping out the team and
> working with others on any projects.
>
> Eli
>
> gpg --fingerprint elijahm17 at gmail.com
> pub    768D/D2BE01F8 2010-02-28
>       Key fingerprint = 8BBB 2C9C 240D 71AA F7EE  A9B4 1D53 A315 D2BE
> 01F8
> uid                  Eli Madrinich (Emad78) <elijahm17 at gmail.com>
> sub    768g/EDF140AF 2010-02-28

Eli

Welcome aboard.

First of all, I think you will be surprised at what a great group Fedora
is to work with, and of course, the Docs Project (OK, maybe I'm biased!)

We have a lot going on, and we are just at a very good point to get
involved.  We are beginning to write the release notes for Fedora 13, we
have work to do on all the guides to prepare them for F13.

Our team leader is very busy right now with real life, so don't be
thinking he is ignoring you.  Probably the best first thing is to get on
IRC.  The Docs Project members hang out on #Fedora-Docs on freenode.  We
also have meetings every Thursday morning at midnight zulu time, that's
Wednesday evening on this side of the pond; I think it translates to 6PM
your time but I'm not 100% certain of that.  The meetings are on
#Fedora-meeting.

It's OK to just idle on #Fedora-docs; most people do.  You can sit for
days and not see anyone talk, but a lot of people are generally keeping
an eye out, and will jump in if you have questions.

So, stop by #Fedora-docs and let's chat a bit and see where you might
want to roll up your sleeves and contribute.  It really is fun.

--McD