Commit email

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 14:19:30 UTC 2010

Something I had failed to predict about mailing commits to the list is
there's no easy way to tell which commit is destined for which
repository. :-) Perhaps we should settle on another procedure.

So here's what I'd suggest, in cases where you're not authorized to
push your commits to a repository (and don't want to wait for access
to send your patch):

1. If there's a bug in Bugzilla for the problem, attach the commit
   there.  Note that attaching a patch is not the same as just pasting
   it into a comment field.  Use the 'Add an attachment' function
   instead to keep the bug easy to read.  (The 'git format-patch
   HEAD^' command will make a nice patch file for you to attach.)

2. Add the 'Patch' keyword to the bug, which indicates a patch is
   attached to fix the problem.

3. If there's no bug for the problem, file one and then go to step
   1. :-)

What do you guys think?