Fwd: Live ISOs that don't fit on CDs

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 06:56:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 09:18:28AM -0600, Draciron Smith wrote:
> There are still tons of machines out there which do not have a DVD and
> especially in third world countries where older hardware is the norm
> the price of a DVD reader is going to be as much as the machine they
> want to put it into.
>
> Me personally I have several ancient machines who don't even have EIDE
> support and finding a just plain IDE DVD reader would be nearly
> impossible. About all they are good for is playing around with and
> using as data/print servers but if you require a DVD to install they
> become scrap metal.
>
> Sides if your going to use a DVD what's the point of using a live CD?
> Why not just get the full install? Seems kinda pointless.

Could some of you that have use cases for livecd images send some answers to
duffy's questions on this ticket? https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/351

She's looking into how/whether CD sized images (from the alternate spins)
need to be presented on get.fedoraproject.org somehow.  To do that, she
needs to know what they're actually being used for.

Thanks,
-Toshio