A few highlights from the GNOME DHS 2010

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Mon Mar 22 23:40:44 UTC 2010

As most of you know, I was off the the GNOME Desktop Help Summit this
weekend. I thought I would mention a few of the highlights very briefly:

Yelp (the app used to display About Fedora and the Fedora Release Notes)
will undergo some major changes in GNOME 3.0. Probably the most
interesting of these changes is that Shaun has been working hard to
reduce dependencies on larger packages so that Yelp is less of a problem
for other desktops.

Shaun is also looking at ways to allow Yelp to find documentation in the
KDE help locations as well as GNOME locations.

For a while we had some KDE developers online and they seemed amenable
to some of these ideas.  I don't know whether we will get to "One help
system to rule them all", but the prospect of delivering help to all the
desktops in a consistent manner seems within reach.

We also talked about the ten top things doc writers should avoid, which
Milo posted on his blog.
(http://milocasagrande.wordpress.com/2010/03/21/what-you-shouldnt-do/_

For me personally, it was very instructive to see how different the
project dynamic is within GNOME, and especially Ubuntu, as compared to
Fedora.  I was also impressed with Shaun and especially his
responsiveness to community needs.

But still, the buttons are on the left.

--McD