F14: what to do about pino / twitter

Dagan McGregor ardrigh at acsonline.co.nz
Tue Oct 5 19:32:27 UTC 2010

> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 09:02 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>

> > What is the final decision on this, so Docs can note the change?  Pino
> > will be removed, but will Gwibber be replacing it or not?
>
> I have just committed a change to comps to make pino optional in the
> graphical-internet group, which should remove it from live media.
>
> I haven't investigated gwibber as a replacement.

 I notice the main complaint about Gwibber is the deplist it pulls in
when installing it.

 Current version 2.33 of Gwibber is a lot lighter on dependencies, and
supports OAuth for working with Twitter. Also works well with identi.ca,
as I use it to read/post to both.

gwibber-2.33.0-7.867bzr.fc13.noarch

A quick and unscientific 'yum deplist gwibber' gives this list (edited
somewhat for readability):

Finding dependencies:
package: gwibber.noarch 1:2.33.0-7.867bzr.fc13
  dependency: python-feedparser >= 4.1
  dependency: gnome-python2-gtkspell
  dependency: python(abi) = 2.6
  dependency: pywebkitgtk >= 1.0.1
  dependency: python-kitchen
  dependency: python-pycurl
  dependency: gnome-python2-gnomekeyring
  dependency: mx >= 3.0.0
  dependency: python-mako >= 0.2.2
  dependency: python-distutils-extra
  dependency: python-imaging >= 1.1.6
  dependency: notify-python >= 0.1.1
  dependency: pyxdg >= 0.15
  dependency: gnome-python2-libwnck
  dependency: dbus-python >= 0.80.2
  dependency: /usr/bin/python
  dependency: gnome-python2-gconf >= 2.18.0
  dependency: libsoup
  dependency: python
  dependency: python-simplejson >= 1.9.1
  dependency: pygtk2 >= 2.10.4
  dependency: python-oauth

 The main noticeable difference, there are no couch or erlang
dependencies.

 It may still not fit on a livecd image, but Gwibber has definitely
improved a lot with the work to support SQLite instead of the earlier
couchdb backend.
 And the great work of the maintainer to get the updates into the repo
for us to use.

 It also appears as 'Gwibber-Fedora' on Twitter, when making a post -
which is a nice little touch.

 Having used Pino when F13 was released, and seeing the updates to
Gwibber, I can't see any reason why one wouldn't swap to Gwibber
(current UI is much better), but I don't see a problem with there being
no default application installed.

 Just my few cents worth as a happy Gwibber user, and lurker on this
list.

 Cheers,
 Dagan