Membership requests to Docs FAS Group

Jesús Franco tezcatl at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 27 10:09:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 08:52:34AM +0200, Zach Oglesby wrote:
> > I wonder if we could think about some "Bounty tasks" to become
> > contributors at Documentation Project. Something like mizmo wonderfull
> > idea to engage more active contributors. Around concrete and
> > not-so-scary design tasks: Docs tasks at this group, of course. Maybe
> > a specific Beat, or pages marked as "need love" (again, not so
> > scary). And guiding them through the process of making a successfull
> > contribution, getting more confident contributors to commit later
> > bigger tasks.
>
> > i think a Documentation Challenge could be a good compromise between
> > having a docs group "invite only" (having sponsored the in by his/her
> > mentor at real), and being open and getting best documented our
> > processes.
>
> Anyway we can get people more involved is great, but I am a little
> confused by the statements above. The requirements for joining Docs[1]
> are much more relexed then that of the Design team[2]. We only require
> that a user sends an intro to ther mailing list and applies for the
> FAS group.

In fact, i'm pretty ok with the requirements at today. I have thought
a topic dicussed several weeks ago on irc about turning the group
invite only. Anyway that proposal end aproved or not, i'd like to
contribute to betterment of task distribution among more
colaborators. I think today is some bit complicated to having spread
in lot of pages the tasks lists of the Docs Project. Should be a way
to better "get the streams" of tasks at some class of easy choosing of
which streams every collaborator is suscribed to.

> I am unsure of what your intent is. Do you want to make the
> requirements for joining Docs more strict? My personel fear with that
> is that the harder we make it to join the less people will want to
> become involved.

You know? It's at all the opposite, i want to make *more easy* the
people can see the awesome process it's having place at several
tracking systems: trac, bugzilla, wiki (? i'm not sure if is best
putting the tasks lists in wiki, as i reword below)

> If I misunderstood you I apologize, but if I was
> completely wrong in my understanding of your post at least I know see
> the need to pay some attention to the wiki page for new contributor
> tasks[3].

It's good start at this page, but i really think are better ways to
see and get streams of tasks. And it can be used without broking the
really task-oriented we accustomed to. It's just matter of connect
some feeds to microblog accounts.

Microblog? Yes, it should be easy. Maybe it's tricky to do it with
tasks started and "tracked" on the mailing list. But maybe we could
use Trac, Redmine and even Bugzilla Atom/RSS feeds to fire with
feed2omb to custom groups (by guide / subproject ?) and the people can
suscribe at will at them or not. We can even use our actual status.net
accounts or setting custom accounts for that purpose.

What do you think?

Jesús Franco