Translation won't build

John J. McDonough wb8rcr at arrl.net
Sat Oct 30 21:54:37 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 15:59 +0100, Nathan Thomas wrote:

> Publican indicated some errors in the temporary xml files for the
> ja-JP translation - specifically in xml/Article_Info.xml and
> xml_temp/Article_Info.xml - so I deleted the incorrect tags in those
> files, committed the change, and tried to build the translation again.
> Publican replaced the tags I'd just deleted, and then aborted the
> build due to the same erroneous tags.

Nope.

Errors with a single translation are fairly common.  Some errors seem
common to non-Latin languages, others more popular in the Latin charset.

When you get an error in a translation, look carefully at the error (it
looks to me that the new Publican gives you less help here than the
old).  You need to remember as much of the context as you can; the line
number is useless.

The error will occur in the XML, but the XML for non-English languages
gets built by Publican from the PO and the en-US XML, so editing the XML
will get you nowhere.

What you want to do is edit the PO file corresponding to the XML file
where the error occurred.  Sometimes you need to delete the
tmp/<lang>/xml directory as well, since Publican is moderately smart
about not doing work over.  Once it builds, then push the edited PO file
back.

Since the PO doesn't look anything like the XML, finding the error can
be a bit tricky.  On the other hand, sometimes you have multiple errors
in one language, and when you do, they are almost always the same sort
of error so easy to find in the PO once you've found the first.

--McD