Do we need a documentation application?

Mike Danko mike at l4m3.com
Sun Apr 3 18:02:38 UTC 2011

This is the best news I've heard in ages. As a user, the disconnect between Fedora docs and system docs has been difficult to grasp. The use-ability of both is difficult to impossible to grasp, especially when you bring up the point that we've adapted docs to applications instead of vice-versa for so long. Menu item? Hit F1? Read a man page? Why should the behavior of an application dictate where I go to learn about it? Why are there separate libraries (in the literal sense) of docs on my system?

Is it time to progress past the separate paths of windows 3.1 "hit F1" mentality, the manpage mentality, and the "if I hover here, maybe I'll get a tooltip" paradigm? To me, this is an obvious answer.

As a group, we have the know-how to have a unified support system. If this isn't the use case for docbook, I don't know what is. It would be a definite shift for folks used to a linear path for writing, but one well deserved for consumers.

I suppose the rest of the discussion boils down to user stories. How would both your grandmother and your cryptogeek friends be best served by such scenarios? How do decide what is contextual documentation and what isn't? How do you best present contextual documentation in a unified manner.

Most if not all of the answers will find their place upstream, but I'd think its about time to at the very least question the behavior so the engineering decisions can have a basis.

- Mike