L10N migration to transifex.net

noriko noriko at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 21 05:01:10 UTC 2011

Ruediger Landmann さんは書きました:
> On 02/17/2011 12:43 AM, Zach Oglesby wrote:
>> Over the last few days it has been decided that we are going to move
>> all of Fedora's translation efforts away from a self hosted solution
>> and on to transifex.net.
>
> This decision has greatly saddened and disappointed me. With all respect
> to Dmitris and his team, to me, it seems like Fedora is giving up a key
> part of our infrastructure and our independence.
>
> Therefore, I have obtained permission from my manager to put time and
> resources into packaging Transifex 1.1 for fedoraproject.org. I have
> also had the time and skills of two Red Hat sysadmins allocated to get
> Fedora's own instance of Transifex upgraded and migrated ASAP.
>
> I believe that if the Fedora Localization Project is open to the idea,
> we could have an up-to-date and fully functional local instance of
> Transifex 1.1 available within a week.
>
> Does this seem acceptable?
+1.
Thank you very much for your proposal, I like to see this up and
running. This is what we originally wanted.
Fully functional transifex on fp.o allows all translators to continue
working on same instance using same system without hassle for F15
software translation period which already started. Addition to this,
translators can also be authenticated via FAS (cvsl10n group) as usual.
It won't disturb other teams such as developers and web team by imposing
the task for move as well.

> I also want to take this opportunity to thank Dmitris for his extremely
> generous offer to host this massive project on behalf of Fedora.
> However, apart from the reasons I gave earlier, I also can't help but
> feel that this direction would be grossly unfair on Dmitris and his
> business. Indifex is, after all, a commercial venture, and server
> resources and bandwidth aren't free of charge -- especially on the scale
> contemplated for Fedora. Just before I came to work for Red Hat, I owned
> a small IT business myself, and know that every penny counts! :)

Indeed. We, Fedora Localization Project, will grow day by day but
unlikely shrink. If doubt, check Fedora weekly news, new translators
joined are listed every two to three weeks. Hosting the system on Fedora
home is fair to all.

noriko