Please tutor a crash course on Docs Project tools & workflow.

Christopher Antila crantila at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 20 22:56:23 UTC 2011

Hello Jesus and everybody:

I encourage the creation of this "crash course" document. Even though
I've written a Guide and continue to update it periodically, I forget
how to use the Docs tools, and I certainly remember how intimidating it
was when I first started.

I also think that we need more people, as you say, to contribute "for
real to Fedora top-projects." The Guides collectively have many
opportunities for improvement. It's not that the Guide owners don't know
about these possible improvements, but that we don't have enough time to
make all of the possible optimizations between releases. Additional "for
real" contributors would be a significant advantage.

I'm not sure what you're asking, Jesus, but if you propose writing the
document yourself, then go ahead and get started! If you would like help
with specific tasks, like to make sure that a particular chapter is
correct, you can ask for help on this mailing list.

As a more general observation, I wonder if a stronger QA ("Quality
Assurance") process would help with this problem. I know that some
Guides have QA contacts, but for others Bugzilla simply gives this
mailing list, and some (like the Musicians' Guide) have no QA contact
whatsoever. Lack of an active QA process means that, if a contributor
makes a mistake, it won't be noticed until after release - and that's
understandably intimidating.

Christopher.

On Thu, 2011-01-20 at 12:00 +0000, docs-request at lists.fedoraproject.org