Wiki Cleanup

Zach Oglesby oglesbyzm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 14:17:13 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 08:59:35AM -0500, John J. McDonough wrote:
> They are already in a category: Documentation_beats
>
> The page
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Beats
>
> actually redirects to
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_beats
>
> Many are also in the Draft_documentation category (I'm not real sure how
> useful that is)
>
> So probably what needs to be done is to take them out of the
> Docs_Project category and not confuse the issue further with additional
> categories.
>
> I have a suspicion that the Docs Header also includes the category
> (didn't track it down, tho), so perhaps the appropriate thing to do is
> to further categorize the other docs into useful categories.

Sorry, I did not notice that they were also located in Documentation_beats as well. I looked at the header template, and it only creates the images in the header, so it did not include the Doc_Project category.

> I'm not sure it is actually the case that all our pages are in
> Docs_Project, but there is some utility in having a place where we can
> see all the Docs stuff.  This has been very useful, for example, in some
> of the renaming and cleanup efforts.

I agree that having one central point for everything would make things easier, but sub-cats for things like Beats should not make it that hard to find them, and it will make the main category easier on the eyes. Right now we have several sub-categories that are not really needed, or could be compined with others.

> Unfortunately, many of the existing categories are relatively useless or
> worse.  Sometimes you can go from category to subcategory to
> sub-sub-category only to find a single document, or less.
>
> I have often though that perhaps renaming the beats pages to be more
> consistent would be a better move.  Trouble is, sensible names tend to
> push the "real" name way down the link, unless we go with something
> cryptic, which actually might be OK since they are more or less
> institutionalized.  Something like RNB_Networking might not be that hard
> to get used to, and would cause all the beats to at least sort near each
> other.

Maybe the real issue is that we need to reorg the wiki in a way that makes a little more sense, cleaning out some of these old categories as we go.

- --
Zach Oglesby
GPG Key: F20C4707
zoglesby on irc.freenode.net