Proposal: end Gilligan's Island copyright notices in Fedora docs

Christopher Antila crantila at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jun 24 21:46:00 UTC 2011

Ubuntu:
- -------
The Ubuntu guides are published in a frameless format, and the bottom of every
page contains the following statement:

"The material in this document is available under a free license, see Legal
for details"

"Legal" is a link to this page: https://help.ubuntu.com/legal.html

The legal page contains a brief explanation of the CC-BY-SA licence that the
project uses, along with a link to another web page that lists all contributor
to the Ubuntu Documentation Team. They don't appear to have specific
instructions on how their documentation should be attributed when borrowed.

OpenSUSE:
- ---------
The official documentation is available here: http://doc.opensuse.org/

Their guides begin with a copyright statement similar to ours, giving a
publication date, assigning copyright to "Novell, Inc. and contributors" and
deferring to the GNU FDL licence.

There is an "About This Guide" chapter, analogous to the Preface in Fedora
guides. There is an "Acknowledgements" section that's similar to, but more
generous than, the "Acknowledgements" section in some Fedora guides.

N.B. They have a style guide and two documentation guides that may be of
interest to us. See previous link.

SUSE Linux:
- -----------
The last chapter of each official document is called "Legal," and it contains
the licence for the document. Copyright is owned by Novell, Inc., and specific
authors are not mentioned.

Debian:
- -------
Their documentation is less standardized. Each document seems to have its own
(similar) copyright statement, assigning copyright to specific people who
contributed to the document. Most documents use the GNU GPL. Some documents
have a section with more detailed "thanks" and attribution.

Gentoo:
- -------
All contributors to a document are listed on the far right side of each page,
in a column. The bottom of most pages gives the licence (CC-BY-SA 2.5 by
default), and underneath that (on all pages) is a statement assigning
copyright to "Gentoo Foundation, Inc."

GNOME:
- -------
I can't find standardized legal information, but some documents have a
statement like on this page:
http://library.gnome.org/users/dasher/unstable/index-info.html.en

All pages have the following notice at the very bottom:
"Copyright (c) 2005-2011 The GNOME Project"

This is too vague.

KDE:
- ----
Each handbook has a list of "developers" at the top (I can only guess this is
documentation developers), in addition to copyright notices for specific
authors. This is confusing, and I'm not sure who should receive attribution.
There is also a link to a "Legal Notice," which is a statement that the
documents are subject to the GNU FDL.

Conclusions:
We're exploring new territory. For the projects that I inspected, I cannot find
anything that is more specific or useful than Fedora's current solution; some
other projects are equally specific.