Mailing list settings

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Wed Nov 9 15:55:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Ben Cotton <bcotton at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> It's apparently time to revisit the topic of mailing list settings.
> Currently, docs at lists.fedoraproject.org is set to hold messages from
> non-subscribed addresses for moderation. There are several of us who
> moderate the list every few days or so to let legitimate traffic
> through. The idea behind this was to make it so people who aren't
> regularly involved with Docs can still send us messages, without
> requiring them to subscribe.
>
> I'm a fan of this, but the downsides are that:
>  1) people who aren't subscribed might not get replies
>  2) not all lists do this
>
> I suggested that we might try to get all lists to allow
> @fedoraproject.org email addresses. This fixes 2, but not 1. The real
> issue that we're trying to solve is making it easy to
> cross-communicate between groups. Sparks and I don't have a magic
> bullet. Any thoughts?
>

> BC
>
> --
> Ben Cotton

The point 1 could not be easily handled using mailman.
The clever way would be to define the email address to members, only
to the specific thread. I don't think that mailman could do it, does
anyone knows sympa[1]? (I don't, but it has more features).
Or just hope that people won't just reply to the list but reply to all.

I personally set this rule (@fpo aliases on the white list) to
trans-fr mailing list.

[1] https://www.sympa.org/index

--