Docs summary/update for L10n?

Christopher R. Antila crantila at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 25 02:01:47 UTC 2012

Hi:

On 04/24/2012 05:23 PM, Kévin Raymond wrote:
> Le mardi 24 avril 2012 à 15:39:25 (-0400), Christopher R. Antila a
> écrit :
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> If we publish the Musicians' Guide for Fedora 17, it's going to
>> be late. Other contributors have made worthwhile revisions, but
>> some portions are out of date in a way that I don't want to
>> publish a "new" version about "old" software that doesn't even
>> exist in Fedora 16 any more.
>>
>> But the Fedora Audio Spin was accepted to Google Summer of Code,
>> so we'll have motivation to make these and other significant
>> revisions for Fedora 18, and they'll be ready well before the
>> L10n submission deadline.
>
> Nice! As you agree that the Musician guide is out to date, we
> should probably remove it from the fedora-docs transifex.net
> release. (See details bellow).
>

>> Christopher.
>>
>> P.S. I wonder if there's a better way to integrate our Docs work
>> with the Localization Project? We could probably do better than
>> encouraging writers to update the guides table on the wiki.
>> Hmm...
>>

> I know that a draft process was started about publishing a doc, I
> don't know which page is it.
>
> But yeah, we should definetly set something. At F16 you (the team)
> decided to start something like string freeze for guides or RN I
> don't remember. Ok, if this is implemented this cycle guides owner
> should [probably] send a notification to translators :).
>
> Here is the translators point of view:
>
> # He is going to translate something, he decides to go for a doc. #
> He does *not* know about the guides status table as this is really
> docs related. # He goes to the fedora-docs transifex release[1],
> filtering by his language. He found *many* resources that have to
> be translated. They could be out dated…
>
> I am one of the guys who can add/remove projects from the
> fedora-docs release. Removed ones will still be only available
> directly using the project url (eg. [2]), or by visiting the Fedora
> Project Hub[3].
>
> By using transifex "releases", we order projects under the
> following categories: - fedora-docs - fedora-websites - fedora-main
> (software) - fedora-upstream-projects (software with a different
> release cycle).
>
> What we should to update the fedora-docs release, with guides that
> we want translators to translate. Clearly, we don't want
> translators to translate NOW the Musician guide for the good
> reasons that you explained above. So it just has to leave (for now)
> the fedora-docs transifex release (If you agree I'll do it). But in
> the other way, we NEED to add them back when updated! I've already
> asked guide owners about this a month ago… Without beeing able to
> follow guide status, we can't handle this.
>
> Of course, if you (guide owners) update corretly the guides
> table[4], we (I…) would be able to update the fedora-docs
> transifex.net release and let translators now about this change.
> [...]

All of this seems familiar. I agree it should be the docs-writers who
must tell translators when to work on something, because only they
know the status of their documents.

So far, I have been setting the translation status to "translations
not accepted" when a file is out of date or when I intend to work on
it. For example, the LilyPond-piano file has been this way for a while.[1]

I like this because it's something writers can do, whereas I cannot
see how to remove files from the fedora-docs release. Also, with this
we can say that some files should not be translated and some should be
translated, rather than the whole Guide.

What does this look like from the translators' perspective? Could it
work well?

Christopher.

[0]
https://fedora.transifex.net/projects/p/fedora-musicians-guide/resource/LilyPond-piano/