Secure Boot Guide

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Wed Jul 11 20:33:44 UTC 2012

On Jul 11, 2012, at 2:29 PM, John J. McDonough wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 16:15 -0400, Eric Christensen wrote:
>> From today's Board meeting, I think it would be a good idea for
>> someone to start working on a guide to UEFI secure boot.  I don't
>> think it would be a large document but would include:
>>
>> 1) What is UEFI?
>> 2) How does Fedora implement UEFI?
>> 3) How can you create your own UEFI keys and have your own Fedora spin
>> work with that key.
>> 4) ...
>>
>> This is a developing thought.  Anyone have any ideas?
>>
>> -Eric
>
> Sounds like a really great idea.  Something like that is badly needed,
> *BUT*, is there anyone who knows the answer to those questions, and if
> so, is there someone who can translate those answers into something
> ordinary mortals can understand?

We kinda need hardware that implements Secure Boot, and thus far there isn't any publicly available consumer hardware that does.

As for Fedora UEFI support, this is a GRUB Legacy EFI to GRUB2 EFI transition phase, with the plan being GRUB2 EFI in F18, completely dropping GRUB Legacy. So some effort should account for the removal of the GRUB Legacy material from existing documentation in anticipation of F18.

Chris Murphy