Man page website

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 04:16:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Eric "Sparks" Christensen
<sparks at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas for doing this or have any opinions on
> doing this?

[from the peanut gallery]

This sounds interesting to me, it's something that I'd appreciate.
However, there are technical challenges to solve here:

* How do we get all the man pages? Every package can obviously (and
should) supply it's own manpage. I know of no systematic way to
install *every* one of the 18000+ packages in Fedora in the hope that
they drop something in /usr/share/man

* There are some upstream projects (all the GNU ones come to mind -
coreutils, tar, a ton of base system utilities) that don't provide
complete documentation in the manpage, instead referring you to the
abomination that is the info page for the project. What should we do
in that case? Yet other upstream projects could provide documentation
some other way.

I'd be willing to help with this, but I explicitly *do not* volunteer
to manually update man pages every release, nor do I think anyone else
would or should :)