Just wanted to say hi!

a.meesters at meesters-id.nl a.meesters at meesters-id.nl
Wed Feb 6 22:45:47 UTC 2013

Hello everybody,

My name is Alexander Meesters, 28 years of age, father of a beautiful
daughter(and the second one is being compiled as we speak :-)), from
Holland(GMT+1).

I'm currently a Web-developer and Sysadmin in the adult industry. My
skills range from programming to systems administration. When i wear my
sysad-hat i manage, and are responsible, for about 40 servers, two of
which are virtual hosts(KVM/Qemu) running 20 nodes. The systems vary
from big data housing(40TB+), load-balancers, ram caches, LAMP servers,
mail servers, database servers and firewalls across three different
data-center environments.

The question i get a lot of time is:"Why the hell do you work in the
adult industry?". Well for one, its the most technical challenge one
geek could ever have, cause not only must we serve our users content
very quickly, we also hold databases with some pretty sensitive
information. That brings me to the second, i am fascinated by security.
And not just "Hacking", but also in a sense of redundancy and backups.

The reason i am joining is that i believe that, in the 10+ years i've
been running Linux, i have acquired knowledge that is worth sharing. And
also, that if my father and a colleague of him at the time, didn't teach
me(back then the internet was not accessible for mortals like us), and
shared their knowledge with me, i wouldn't be who i am now. I also
believe that when to start something you should always start by
documenting, first the plan, then the research,
then write proof of concepts, etc.. etc... Somehow i always find myself
scribbling notes on my notepad.

The thing i want to contribute the most to is security, since it is my
fascination, ever since i had a computer. I also have sufficient
knowledge of running servers, so i can contribute to that as well if
needed. Of course i will have to make do in my free time, but also want
to be a family man... so i think it will around 8~10 hours a week that i
can make myself available. although i will be idling on irc on work
hours

So, if anyone has a question, just shoot! I will be in #fedora-docs,
but feel free to drop me a mail anytime :-)

Sincerely,

Alexander "UnCleJack" Meesters