Self-introduction: Simon Clark

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Sun Jan 5 00:26:03 UTC 2014

On 01/02/2014 06:51 AM, Simon Clark wrote:
> Hello.  My name is Simon Clark (user sclark on Freenode and FAS) and I
> would like to join the documentation project.
>
> My answers to the standard questions on the wiki are as follows:
>
> - What other projects or writing have you worked on in the past?
>
> This is the first time I have worked on a documentation project of
> this size, although I have written smaller scale documentation before
> in Dockbook and Latex.  I have not used Git before but have worked
> with SVN.  This will also be my first experience of using Publican.
>
> - What level and type of computer skills do you have?
>
> I have been a desktop Linux user since the 1990s.  I have also been a
> sysadmin on Linux/Unix servers, and some other OS, for small companies
> and for departments in larger organisations.
>
> - What other skills do you have that might be applicable? User
> interface design, other so-called soft skills (people skills),
> programming, etc.
>
> A lot of work in my day job has focused on requirements management for
> large information systems, which has given me plenty of experience in
> discussing technical subjects with non-technical users.  I can write
> code but I don't get much practice and so it takes me a long time to
> achieve what I want.
>
> - What makes you an excellent match for the project?
>
> We will have to find out how good a match I am, but I start as a
> willing volunteer with a few hours a week to offer and an interest in
> learning to help with the documentation.
>
> - GPG KEYID and fingerprint:
>
> pub   2048R/7541F31D 2013-12-31
>       Key fingerprint = ADC9 D703 11F7 8CAA 88BB  BC55 EF2F D1F7 7541 F31D
> uid  Simon Richard Clark <simon.richard.clark at gmail.com
> <mailto:simon.richard.clark at gmail.com>>
> sub   2048R/E92429CC 2013-12-31
>
> As a newcomer to this type of project, I would like to  start with
> something reasonably straightforward.  I have read some of the recent
> meeting minutes and mailing list archives and followed some of the
> conversations on #fedora-docs.  It seems to me that reviewing guides
> for the Unversioned Docdirs change and taking on some smaller items
> from BZ might be a good place to start.  Does that sound OK?
>
> Simon

 Hi Simon, welcome!  It is clear you have a lot of experience to share,
and I think you'll make a great addition to the team.

I have sponsored your membership in the docs group.  Membership in at
least one group in FAS (besides the CLA) gives you access to fun stuff
like IRC cloaks[1] or email aliases[2].  The CLA stuff gives you wiki
edit access, so feel free to change or update pages as you encounter the
need - there is no lack of pages that need maintenance.

Your plan sounds like a good introduction to our workflow, and I see
you've already sent out one patch. Thanks! If you run out of bugs to cut
your teeth on, new contributors have the best perspective on the
Documentation Guide[3].

We are largely a self-directed group, and a friendly one. Find something
interesting to hack on and jump in, we'll be here if you have any
questions along the way.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FreenodeCloaks
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EmailAliases
[3]https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/docs/documentation-guide.git