Getting back into Docs

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Fri Apr 10 18:06:47 UTC 2015

On 04/09/2015 10:42 PM, Ryan Lerch wrote:
> After a few years, i am keen to start helping make Fedora docs!
>
> any thoughts on where to jump in again?
>
> --ryanlerch

Hey Ryan, welcome!  I heard you moved; some nice, organized, predictable
writing might be just the thing to get over it :)

At this point in the F22 release cycle, we're spending a lot of time on
the release notes.  The easiest way to get started would be to add some
info about the packages you've been following (some new inkscape
features, maybe?)  Typically new features or dramatic changes are
showcased, but the RNs aren't necessarily a changelog; we want to give a
good general representation of what users will get with the various
deliverables as well.  You might be ideally situated to cover the Design
Suite and related packages.

In other areas, we have a number of guides underway.  I'm working on a
multiboot guide, mostly focused on dual booting with Windows and new
users coming from windows.  Simon Clark is driving a new firewall
guide.  There's a repo for a Fedora Server guide just waiting for
someone with initiative.  If you want to write short tutorials, the
Fedora Cookbook needs more recipes.  The Storage Guide is very useful
but outdated.  There are a handful of other ones[0], and you can
probably pick up wherever you like (but do communicate your intentions,
some are retired for $reasons and you might miss the signal)

I've sponsored you into the "docs" FAS group today.  Commit privileges
come with "docs-writers" - send a patch or two, or set up a remote on
fedorapeople or somewhere for review+merge, and I'm sure you'll merit
membership in short order.

[0] Start here for repos: https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/docs/

--
-- Pete Travis