Proposed plan for the Virtualization Getting Started Guide

Sandra McCann scmccann2000 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 20:28:58 UTC 2015

Hi folks -

We’ve been batting around ideas for the virtualization guides for a bit now
in irc, but I’d like to get some more feedback on the approach we can take.

Seems there are two personas involved. Using our draft personas
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_Focus#Personas> we have :

   -

   Technical Tony - experienced IT person virtualizing on servers etc,
   knows his stuff and is spinning up VMs like they’re candy.
   -

   Novice Ned (or Novice Nancy in my case :-) - Fairly new to
   virtualization, and looking to spin up a VM or two for her own work.

Given these two personas, I’d like to suggest that the Virtualization
Getting Started guide be targeted to Novice Nancy. To do this we would:

   -

   Add an installing virtualization tools chapter - simple effort to
   install the virtualization group package and bring up virt-manager.
   (smccann)
   -

   Add an ‘Creating Guests with Virt-Manager chapter - copying from here
   <http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/Virtualization_Deployment_and_Administration_Guide/chap-Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide-Guest_Installation_Virt_Manager-Creating_guests_with_virt_manager.html>.
   (smccann)
   -

   Adding a ‘Creating Guests with Boxes chapter (grundblom)
   -

   Make minor edits as needed to remove Fedora 19 references and any
   references (if present) to a larger set of virtualization guides that may
   not be available as F21 guides yet.

I also had one question -

   -

   not sure what to do about the list of emulated devices - is it accurate?
   http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Virtualization_Getting_Started_Guide/sec-virtualized-hardware-devices.html

Anyway, I’d like to get the getting started done and committed before
considering the Admin and Deploy guide (because..ahem.. I AM Novice Nancy
here and it will take longer for me to parse that guide).

Thoughts?

Sandra