Need some remedial git help

Pete Travis me at petetravis.com
Mon Mar 23 23:22:04 UTC 2015

On 03/23/2015 05:41 PM, Sandra McCann wrote:

> Hi folks -
>

> I’m trying to follow these direction
> <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/fedorapeople.org#Pushing_to_your_repository>s
> so that I have a personal branch to work on the virt getting started
> guide, that is backed up to fedorapeople.  Somehow I’m failing but I
> don’t know where.
>

> This is what I tried :
>

> 1.
>
>     git clone --bare
>     https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/docs/virtualization-getting-started-guide.git/
>     virtualization-getting-started-guide.git
>
> 2.
>
>     cd virtualization-getting-started-guide.git
>
> 3.
>
>     git branch smccann_virtmanager
>
> 4.
>
>     git checkout smccann_virtmanager
>
> This gives me the following error: fatal: this operation must be run
> in a work tree.
>

> Looking that up, it seems I shouldn’t have cloned as --bare.
>

> So I try again….w/o the bare…
>

> 1.
>
>     git clone
>     https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/docs/virtualization-getting-started-guide.git/
>     virtualization-getting-started-guide.git
>
> 2.
>
>     cd virtualization-getting-started-guide.git
>
> 3.
>
>     git branch smccann_virtmanager
>
> 4.
>
>     git checkout smccann_virtmanager
>

> this looks better…
>
> 1.
>
>     touch git-daemon-export-ok (so it’s visible on cgit)
>

>  scp it up to fedorapeople:
>
> 1.
>
>     scp -r virtualization-getting-started-guide.git/
>     mccann2 at fedorapeople.org:public_git/virtualization-getting-started-guide.git
>

> So far so good. Let’s make a minor edit, add and commit…
>
> 1.
>
>     (edit Book_Info.xml and build to ensure it works)
>
> 2.
>
>     git add en-US/Book_Info.xml
>
> 3.
>
>     git commit -m ‘first commit. Fix Book_Info.xml so it will build’
>

> Now try to push that to fedorapeople:
>
> 1.
>
>     git remote add fedorapeople mccann2 at fedorapeople.org
>     <mailto:mccann2 at fedorapeople.org>:public_git/virtualization-getting-started-guide.git
>
> 2.
>
>     git push --mirror fedorapeople
>
> This gets me the following batch of errors:
>

> git push --mirror fedorapeople
>
> Counting objects: 4, done.
>
> Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
>
> Compressing objects: 100% (4/4), done.
>
> Writing objects: 100% (4/4), 394 bytes | 0 bytes/s, done.
>
> Total 4 (delta 3), reused 0 (delta 0)
>
> remote: error: refusing to update checked out branch:
> refs/heads/smccann_virtmanager
>
> remote: error: By default, updating the current branch in a non-bare
> repository
>
> remote: error: is denied, because it will make the index and work tree
> [...]
With git, like many things, you can get to the same place a few
different ways.  If you create the bare repo on fedorapeople, you don't
need to scp your local repo there;  bare repos don't have a working
tree, it's essentially just the .git/ portion of the folder.  When you
scp over your non-bare repo, it *does* have a checked out branch, so you
get complaints.

Start over with creating the fedorapeople repo, but when you create it,
do simply `git init --bare` without the extra repo arguments.  Skip the
scp. Everything will get filled in when you push.  The fedorapeople repo
is the only bare one; once it is created, we don't do anything with it
directly.  It only serves as a remote.

After the repo is created, the steps for creating a branch, checking out
the branch, committing, adding a remote - you've done all that right,
just make sure they're all on your local repo.  To save yourself some
typing, when you have your branch checked out locally and the remote
added, you can do `git branch --set-upstream-to=fedorapeople` and you
won't have to specify the remote next time.

--
-- Pete Travis
 - Fedora Docs Project Leader
 - immanetize at fedoraproject.org