Charter

Marcela Mašláňová mmaslano at redhat.com
Thu Nov 7 11:08:29 UTC 2013

On 11/07/2013 10:25 AM, Jens Petersen wrote:
>> I think part of the reason for this WG
>> is for helping to define and create so-called Fedora Tier 2.
>
> Sorry I meant Ring 2, I guess.
>
> (I haven't followed the initial discussions that led up to Fedora.next so closely.)

I asked Matt what he had in mind, when he named this group. He promised
to drop a mail about it, but probably didn't have time yet.

To quote him:
<quote>
I was definitely envisioning this group basically covering/coordinating
everything on this slide http://mattdm.org/fedora/next/#24 in the
"Ring 2" area. I know it's very broad.

I think PRD isn't quite the right term for this group and for the
base group -- there should be some sort of "what we are doing and
what is our scope?" document, but this isn't really meant to be
a _product_. The proposal says that the product working groups will
make a PRD, and is vague about Env&Stacks + Base, but I certainly
don't think these groups are any less important.
</quote>

So, we can speak to Base on fedora-devel, I can speak to Phil about
containers (who will work on what).

Matt slide about Ring2 is older, so I'd like to sum up current state of
those technologies:
* Software Collections - see discussion on packaging list and you can
join and help
* Stacks 2.0 - imho dead project, I didn't hear about it for long time,
but it would be nice to have something better than Collections. It's
more for RPM/yum people.
* Cartridges - Sam? You know everything about it, right?
* Fedora Formulas - we can speak with nirik about it, I'm not sure about
status
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_formulas
* Traditional packaging - I guess most of us signed for improvements and
automatization of traditional packaging.

I suggest write document about all these areas and see what other groups
are proposing, what are they missing...

Marcela