can someone from WG attend the EPEL meeting today?

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Aug 29 03:22:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

The EPEL meeting later today (Friday 16:00 UTC) will discuss
EPEL.next again (EPIC). I would attend but it is rather late
for me (1am in Japan), is it possible someone from the WG
could attend on our behalf to help get our ideas/concerns/input also
included in the discussion.

It seems from the previous (first) meeting [1] last week that they
are currently leaning towards (one or more) faster moving rolling-release repos.
This will certainly be an improvement but I feel it is not flexible
enough to provide long-term support for multiple versions of stacks.

eg I would certainly like to make multiple versions of Haskell ghc available
for EPEL/EPIC over the whole life-time, even though perhaps only
the EPEL and latest EPIC branch would see continuing maintenance and updates.
Rolling release seems to be the exact weakness of EPEL so replicating
that in EPIC seems like a bad idea to me.

A counter-point might be that branches is too much work
but really it is no different from Fedora branches, which also become EOL.

Jens

[1] http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/epel/2014-08-22/epel_reboot.2014-08-22-16.00.html