Rings and building in copr (non-koji)

John Dulaney jdulaney at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 14 15:40:35 UTC 2015

> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 16:12:12 +0100
> From: hhorak at redhat.com
> To: env-and-stacks at lists.fedoraproject.org
> Subject: Rings and building in copr (non-koji)
> CC: dennis at ausil.us
>
> Hi,
>
> this is related to today's meeting discussion [1] about rings and
> utilizing koji and copr as well.. I got quite important comment from
> Dennis (CC'd):
>
> "If its going to be part of fedora in any shape or form officially it
> has to be built in koji ... it allows releng to control shipping,
> signing and delivery, it allows updates to go through bodhi ... it gives
> a central place for people to look at fedora builds"
>
> I think these are valid points but to me it still seems like we may
> still work with that. It would just mean non-koji-Rings wouldn't be
> considered "official fedora", which seems similar to less-strict rules
> and thus lesser quality expectations.
>
> Or is it a bigger issue?
>
> [1]
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2015-01-14/env-and-stacks.2015-01-14-12.01.html
>
> Honza

I agree, anything that is going to be part of Fedora should be built in
Koji; anything else is not official and accordingly should have expectations
set that it is not going to be signed or may not have gone through the QA
process.

Conversely, QA should not be expected to test anything that is built outside
of Koji.

John.