Rings and building in copr (non-koji)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 10:22:25 UTC 2015

On 23 January 2015 at 00:30, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I think we can also draw finer distinctions here — some things in "ring
> 3" can be "recommended by Fedora" or "reviewed by Fedora", while others
> can be missing that sticker.

I like the idea of having "recommended", "reviewed", "redistributed"
as further tiers within Ring 3. The "redistributed" level would
capture the requirement for something to be built in COPR: it has to
be legal for Fedora as a *project* to redistribute it. The further
tiers (reviewed, recommended, Ring 2, Ring 1, Ring 0) would then
reflect various additional criteria that can be applied to the
package, with accordingly increased levels of scrutiny.

FHS compliance, for example, might be required for a package to be
considered "recommended".

Cheers,
Nick.