Workstation WG post on application bundles

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 10:49:03 UTC 2015

By way of Christian's recent post on F22 workstation plans [1], I
found this detailed post regarding the current status of application
bundles for rich client apps:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2015-January/011427.html

I don't currently see anything there that conflicts with anything
we're planning to do, but it's probably something we should keep an
eye on to help ensure that the developer experiences for server side
applications and rich client applications don't diverge too far.

In particular, one question I can see arising is "What's the
difference between an application runtime and a software collection?".
Is there a better answer than "you can use software collections
without needing to run them in a separate container"?

Regards,
Nick.

[1] http://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2015/01/19/planning-for-fedora-workstation-22/