developer page on installing go, .profile doesn't get sourced

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Nov 5 13:26:51 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 01:32:11AM +0000, Eduardo Silva wrote:
> First of all I have to say I'm not a developer, but with the
> sexyness of developer.fedoraproject.org I might just become than
> just an enthusiast for Fedora.

Nice. :)

> While looking at the site, I decided to check out 'go' since I've
> heard a lot of good about it. At the end of the installation
> instructions https://developer.fedoraproject.org/tech/languages/go/go-installation.html
> is said to add a environment variable to ~/.profile. But when I open
> a new gnome terminal .profile isn't sourced...

We normally just put things in ~/.bash_profile, but ~/.profile should
be read too. However, it _won't_ be read on starting a new GNOME
Terminal by default, since ~/.profile (like ~/.bash_profile) is only
read on login. Solutions include:

a) log out and log in again, and there you go.
b) put it in ~/.bashrc instead
c) in GNOME Terminal, edit the current profile, go to the Command tab,
   and check 'Run command as login shell'.

I have been checking that option for about 20 years now, and have never
regretted it. :)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>