RHEL 5.1 new packages and EPEL conflicts

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Wed Sep 19 16:30:38 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:50:04 +0530
sundaram at fedoraproject.org (Rahul Sundaram) wrote:

> Hi
>
> I noticed that yum-utils is now in EPEL. I removed it from the
> wishlist when I saw that RHEL 5.1 beta is including this package but
> it has gone in anyway.
>
> The list of new packages included in RHEL 5.1 beta is available in
> the announcement at
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.release.tikanga.beta/844
>
> yum-utils would have to be removed or version adjusted from atleast
> EPEL 5 so as to not conflict with RHEL 5.1 when it's released. I
> haven't done a comprehensive check so there might be other similar
> packages in the list. Just a quick heads up.

I did a check of all the packages in the beta announcement back when it
came out.

The following are packages in epel-5 that are going to be in RHEL-5.1:

yum-utils
dnsmasq
python-imaging
perl-TimeDate

All of the RHEL-5.1 packages are newer than the ones in epel-5, so
upgrades should work fine.

I think once 5.1 is out those packages should be dead.packaged in
epel-5 and we just go on with the ones in RHEL-5.1...

Does anyone spot anything I missed with this?

> Rahul

kevin