"newer packages"

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 22:11:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Kevin Fenzi<kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 12:28:35 -0500 (CDT)
> Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Should we have a stronger effort to replace older RHEL packages if we
>> put them in their own namespace and don't conflict?
>
> Well, how much interest is there in this?
> How many packages would we have?
>
> Can the interesting ones that people want really be made to not
> conflict with the base RHEL versions?
>
> This would be a totally seperate 'epel-bleeding' or
> 'epel-newer-versions' repo?

epel-sid (if it compiles, ship it!)

The issues are how to deal with this cleanly (if that is possible). I
know that there are people who need newer versions of postgres, mysql
etc just to get apps working.. but they also run into the "we need a
newer python" which uhm would be very interesting to try and deal
with.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning