Permanent URL for EPEL configuration

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 19:08:12 UTC 2012

On 27 December 2012 11:15, Michael Stahnke <stahnma at puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 07:35:51 +0100
>> Remi Collet <Fedora at famillecollet.com> wrote:

>> > A simple one:
>> >
>> > ln -f 6/i386/epel-release-* epel-release-6.rpm
>>
>> How is that automated? :)
>>
>> Sure, I can do that manually right now, but what makes you think I
>> would notice when there's a new update? Manually putting it on a
>> person is something I want to avoid. ;)
>>
>> Perhaps we could use something from the fedmsg bus to detect when this
>> package is pushed to stable. Or run a cron job that lists the most
>> current one in the repo...
>

> Another option, how do we just get epel-release into RHEL? Scientific ships
> with it in their core. It makes things so much nicer. I realize Red Hat
> doesn't want to support everything from EPEL, but having it easily available
> might be nice. I haven't used a RHEL system since 2007 without EPEL anyway
> ;)

I don't believe it will ever happen. Too many customers take it to
mean that what is shipped on Red Hat means it is Red Hat built and
supported. From dealing as a customer the number of times I had to
"report" flash because my boss told me to means that even shipping
EPEL installation instructions means a lot of pain and suffering.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."