'policy' for multiple versions of same software in EPEL

Dmitry Makovey dmitry at athabascau.ca
Mon Oct 29 19:36:01 UTC 2012

Note1: I do *not* use CentOS nor am I it's advocate. Take that into account
reading below [rough] ideas. I am however RHEL subscriber in the office and
Fedora user at home.

Note2: I may be missing certain aspects of inter-distribution relations thus
please don't throw heavy objects my way if I start sounding like heritic
around here ;)

On October 29, 2012 12:52:01 Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Cons:
>
> - We never know when exactly a point release is going to appear until
>   it does. RH never announces them in advance. So, might lead to
>   scrambling. It's pretty unlikely we could push those updates the same
>   day as the point release... so when would we? would they go through
>   testing as usual?

Maybe aligning more with CenOS schedule? They end up trailing RHEL as well so
whatever time they get before pushing "the latest" may be enough for EPEL?

> - Do we want for CentOS/SL/whatever to release their version? If not,
>   it could lead to breakage for users who use epel with those until
>   they do.

question from the different dimension: would it not make sense to merge
CentOS[-extras] community with EPEL as two essentially are trying to
compliment (augument) RHEL with more software? Was that ever considered in the
past? Not trying to insigate, but rather suggest alternative approaches to
above model.

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator

When in trouble when in doubt run in circles scream and shout
     http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19330

---