EPEL epel7 planning and processes

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Dec 27 01:11:08 UTC 2013

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 12:03:47 +0100
Karel Volný <kvolny at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Dne pátek, 13. prosince 2013 17:42:24 CEST, Kevin Fenzi  napsal(a):
> > On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:36:48 -0700
> > "T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingsworth at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Yeah, opt-in sounds like a much better idea.  :-)
> >
> > Yeah, it does mean slower, but I think it's good to only have those
> > things in that are for sure maintained.
>
> -1 from me, if I get you right that everyone should ack the packages
> to be branched
>
> I often don't find enough time for the things I'm not paid for, so I
> see a potential to miss some "please add your package if you want to
> have it in EPEL7" plea

But by our own policies someone who submits such a plea only has to
wait a week and if you don't answer, they can branch and maintain. A
active involved maintainer seems like a win there over "oh, I'll fire
off a build and hope it works and won't have time to look at any bugs"

> but that doesn't mean I'd call these things "unmaintained", just the
> response times are a bit longer ...

Sure, we are all busy. ;)

Thats just a good chance to bring in a co-maintainer that does have
more time, etc.

kevin