[EPEL-devel] Thoughts on making Thunderbird ExclusiveArch x86_64 in EPEL7?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 18:02:21 UTC 2014

On 22 December 2014 at 09:21, Adam Miller <maxamillion at fedoraproject.org>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>     I was recently asked on irc if I knew what we going on with
> Thunderbird in EPEL7 and I hadn't looked at it in a while but it looks
> like the latest build failed:
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=597057
>
> However, it appears that this is because the version of nss-static
> (nss-devel) on PPC64 is too old to build the latest version of
> Thunderbird. This appears to still be the case today after more than 2
> weeks after the update hit the RHEL7 x86_64 repos. I don't know why
> RHEL on PPC64 is lacking this but I'm of the opinion that we could at
> least in the mean time build an ExclusiveArch version of the latest
> (31.3.0) Thunderbird for x86_64 and if/when PPC64 catches up then
> there could be a bump in the spec file and a build for that arch as
> well.

Thanks for finding this. I agree with this for several reasons:

1) PPC isn't a high use platform.
2) Current PPC (non-le) are not really desktop oriented hardware but server
only hardware. Thunderbird on PPC (and many desktop applications) on PPC do
not make a lot of sense unless someone is actively using PPC and taking
care of those packages.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.