EPEL Python 3 for 7?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 17 15:55:09 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 08:05:23AM -0700, Dave Johansen wrote:
> > system.so we've mostly decided that things in the system shouldn't use SCLs
> > to work.  So we still need to solve the problem of newer python interpreter
> > and newer django framework for use with apps that EPEL ships.
> What about having a separate EPEL repo for SCLs and/or these newest version
> of things? Like you mentioned before, this takes more work, but if then
> those that want the stable base can have it and those that want the newest
> can have it as well.

Or possibly an additional sub-project separate from EPEL. The idea has been
kicked around a little bit -- Robyn Bergeron calls it "EPIC" (for Extra
Packages for Infrastructure and Clouds, I think). I was thinking about this
more recently in the context of "things we need for Fedora.next in the
coming year or so". The new repo might target both EL and Fedora and provide
alternative versions maintained on, say, a 3-year lifecycle.