EPEL quick epel7 update

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 19:12:57 UTC 2014

On 16 June 2014 21:03, Simone Caronni <negativo17 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 June 2014 20:15, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>
>> * When do we want to look at leaving beta status for epel7?
>> I'd suggest we should definitely give CentOS time to release, but
>> should we have any other critera?
>>

> I would really, really like to have CentOS 7 available before the final
> release. CentOS 7 is being built also for i386 and that would mean a lot of
> semplification into adding packages in EPEL 7. Right now the situation is a
> bit weird as many multilib dependencies cannot be satisfied and there are
> many obstacles in getting i386 binaries to run.

Another thing, there are packages that are spread into multiple upstream
optional channels that make it impossible to include some packages in the
distribution.

One thread here:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/epel-devel/2014-June/009600.html

Releng ticket here:

https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/ticket/5915

As far as I know in CentOS all packages and subpackages are part of the
distribution, so this could be another reason to wait for the CentOS
release.

Just my 2c.

Regards,
--Simone