EPEL Project collaboration and supplementary arch support

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 12:40:42 UTC 2014

Hello,

On 18 March 2014 11:54, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:

> Specifically we intend to continue producing for the i686
> architecture, as well as adding ARMv7 builds. These additional builds
> will allow users with legacy hardware (or 32bit cloud images) to migrate
> to newer versions while addressing the growing demand for ARM support.
>
> EPEL provides a valuable resource to CentOS (and other builds), and
> since a number of projects based on CentOS rely heavily on EPEL, we
> would like to request that support for these additional architectures be
> added to EPEL via a 'secondary arch'.

as a contributor I would really like to have i686 as one of the main
architectures. With the current situation, there's no chance to rebuild
many of the packages that could benefit of RHEL 7 multilib support. RHEL 7
supports 32 bit programs, but we're not really able to use them in EPEL.

Quick example: I maintain Steam for Fedora, and would like to add it also
to the RPMFusion's EPEL repository; but the package is 32 bit only and
there is currently no way to package 32 bit dependencies (like SDL2) into
EPEL 7.

Previous discussion:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/epel-devel/2014-March/009298.html

Thanks & regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of
the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/