[EPEL-devel] python34 packages for EPEL

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jul 17 17:47:57 UTC 2015

On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 16:41:13 -0600
Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:

> Sorry for the cross posting - let's follow up on the EPEL list
>
> We now have python34 in EPEL (yay - thanks Matej and others!).
> Starting to look at packaging some modules.  We have
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bkabrda/EPEL7_Python3 as a
> starting point which looks pretty good.  One wrinkle though is that
> we have a bunch of python2 packages provided by RHEL that we'll want
> to provide python3X versions for in EPEL, but not ship python2
> versions.  So a question becomes, where do they get maintained?
> Either:
>
> - epel7 branch of the python-blah package in Fedora?
> - a new python3X-blah package?
>
> And if in an epel7 branch of an existing package, is it conceivable to
> maintain a common spec across EPEL and Fedora?

I think we should do:

- If the package is in rhel already as a python2 only package:
new review for python3-whatever in epel. This way we don't have to be
carefull to sync versions to the rhel version and wont interfere with
it. The package in epel should only build the python3 version of
course.

- If the package is not in rhel, just python-foo branched from fedora
  and we can try and share specs to build things.

kevin