[EPEL-devel] python34 packages for EPEL

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Fri Jul 17 23:17:50 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-15, 22:41 GMT, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> We now have python34 in EPEL (yay - thanks Matej and others!).  Starting to
> look at packaging some modules.  We have
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bkabrda/EPEL7_Python3 as a starting point
> which looks pretty good.  One wrinkle though is that we have a bunch of
> python2 packages provided by RHEL that we'll want to provide python3X versions
> for in EPEL, but not ship python2 versions.  So a question becomes, where do
> they get maintained?  Either:

YAY!!! I am on vacations, so I have missed this awesome
announcement, but THANK YOU! I have immediately installed this
over my hotel wifi ;) and I have started to play with it. Of
course, the first thing I tried was to run

$ python3

and was surprised when I was greeted with “command not found”.
I looked at the Slávek’s page and found this about
/usr/bin/python3:

    * "/usr/bin/python3" belongs to the "stable" python3X stack.
      Switching /usr/bin/python3 from python3X to python3X+1
      happens shortly before the end of transitional period (==
      before obsoleting python3X) and it is announced on
      epel-devel.

    * Usage of "/usr/bin/python3" is discouraged in favour of
      using /usr/bin/python3.X explicitly.

I have probably missed somewhere in the previous discussion, but
I cannot find:

    a) What happened to /usr/bin/python3? Is the discrepancy
       with the abovequoted first point a bug or something
       intended?

    b) Is this omission somehow related to the second point?  (I
       can understand the second point for the EPEL packaging)
       Yes, I understand that /usr/bin/python3 provides lower
       level of guaranteed API stability than
       /usr/bin/python3.*, but my reading of
       http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/ was that
       there should be a /usr/bin/python3 when python3 has been
       installed.  What’s wrong with my understanding of this
       issue?

Best and thanks again very much!

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz